Sauvignon "asparagus" 2018
"This Sauvignon Blanc is the perfect companion to asparagus. The grapes are harvested separately and the wine is bottled slightly earlier. The delicate fruit of the bouquet and the fresh aromas create subtle combinations with the taste of the asparagus."
- Doc denomination: Alto Adige
- Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- History of the variety: first vintage 1987
- Year: 2018
- Bottles produced: 12,000
- Yield: 63 hl/ha
- Quality line: Tradition
Manual harvest and selection of the grapes; gentle whole cluster pressing and clarification of the must by natural sedimentation; slow fermentation at a controlled temperature in stainless steel tanks, aging on the lees in steel tanks for 5-7 months.
- Country: Alto Adige DOC
- Provenance: Alto Adige
- Altitude: 250 - 900 m a. s. l.
- Slope: 5 - 70 %
- Orientation: South - Southwest
- Color: light yellow with green reflexes
- Smell: fruity bouquet, with nuances of elder-blossom underlined with gentle green bell pepper aromas.
- Taste: pleasant with a well balanced acidity and a delicate aftertaste.
2018 could be defined as "extreme"- from a meteorological point of view- because it was characterized by a snowy winter and a rainy March, conditions that allowed an excellent water supply for the vines.
Due to cooler temperatures in early spring, new shoots on the vines appeared in mid-April, later than the previous year. However, the continuation of the season was marked by an almost summery climate, alternating with heavy rainfall, which ensured rapid phenological development of the vines- first inflorescences started blossoming at the end of May.
A hot June ended with a strong hailstorm, causing damage in some of our vineyards. Damage that our producers promptly repaired with great diligence and commitment.
The months of July and August were characterized by a great heatwave without precipitation, interrupted by heavy rains in early September.
As in 2017, the harvest began on 22 August.
Overall, the vintage is satisfactory both in terms of quantity and quality of the wines produced.
In addition to Pinot Grigio and Gewürztraminer, it is mainly Pinot Bianco, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc that have made Alto Adige one of Italy's leading white wine regions. In the case of the reds, the range of wines includes the autochthonous varieties Lagrein and Schiava as well as such international classics as Pinot Noir, Merlot and Cabernet. With all their variety, 98 percent of Alto Adige's wines have a DOC classification, with an impressive share of top-class wines.
Microclimate in Terlano
Continental climate (Cfa Köppen-Geiger)
Maximum temperatures: 38,2 °C
Average temperatures: 12,9 °C
Minimum temperatures: -10,7°C
Annual precipitation: ø 558 mm
Average global radiation: 150,1 W/m²
- North foehn: cool and dry down-slope wind
- Ora: valley wind system from the south, bringing in air from the Po Valley
- Alcohol content: 13.0 % vol
- Residual sugar: 2.0 g/l
- Total acidity: 6.0 g/l
- PH: 3.3 PH
- Storage advice: Cool storage at constant temperatures, high level of humidity, good ventilation and as little light as possible
- Cellar temperature: 10 - 15 °C
- Minimum maturity: 1 years
- Serving temperature: 10 - 12 °C
Glass for a young white wine